Why on earth are my hens laying such light eggs?

I think most chickens eggs get lighter the older they get. I don't think the oyster shell would do it. My EE's eggs are much paler than they used to be, sometimes one is almost white.

Eggs will get lighter until they molt. Then they will lay somewhat darker again and slowly lighten until the next molt.

Our 2 RIR produce very light brown eggs.
They started laying on Dec 1, 2009.
They're now 45 weeks old.

The 2 Golden Comets lay browner eggs and bigger.

I thought this was strange because when I was growing up, we always had brown eggs and I was under the impression they were RIR.
As a matter of fact, I didn't even know what a white egg looked like until moving to CA at the age of 21!

I have 4 different breeds, and they all started out dark brown when they first started laying. Then they all went to an almost solid white egg! I have RIR, SLW, Golden Comets, Black Star. Then, I bought 17 week pullets, and they have started out nice and brown but now are getting lighter and lighter too!

They're free range, and eat Layena with oyster shell available in a separate bowl.

Sounds wierd to me - my neighbor just a few houses down has many of the same breeds and they all lay dark.

I have 4 different breeds, and they all started out dark brown when they first started laying. Then they all went to an almost solid white egg! Every single egg they lay is nearly white that is.

I have RIR, SLW, Golden Comets, Black Star. Then, I bought 17 week pullets, and they have started out nice and brown but now are getting lighter and lighter too!

They're free range, and eat Layena with oyster shell available in a separate bowl.

Sounds wierd to me - my neighbor just a few houses down has many of the same breeds and they all lay dark.

Back
Top Bottom