Why Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by yotetrapper, Jun 1, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    So many people here seem to be in love with orpingtons. And I'm wondering why?? To me they seem to be a plain old boring looking chicken. Why does everyone like them so?

2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I guess it depends on why you have chickens.

I like their calm nature and fluffy butts. They are good layers and tolerate cold well.

Why not?

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They have really nice heavy bodies and such thick wonderful plumage. They come in a variety of colors as well, and I like their med brown egg color too.

I like my buff girls!

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    The reason for me is the temperment won me over. I also like the size and I perfer a plain old bird sometimes. [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You think my orpington cockeral is plain and boring? He is 28 weeks old and stands nearly 2 ft tall from foot to comb tip. he won't be full size until about 18 months of age. He is yet just a baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, I don't think they are so boring, but to each his own. I love my blues! Here are Suede, Velvet and Skye:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Oh I dont have anything against them, I've never had any. Was just curious what everyone liked about them so much. Seems like temperment is winning out.

I didnt mean to offend anyone!! I'm sure I have chickens I adore, that others don't like as well.

No MissPrissy, that there is not plain, I never knew an Orpington could even look like that. What kind is he??? He's beautiful.

Like I said, I dont have anything against them, or even know the breed, I was curious what everyone liked about them.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Stunning Miss P, just stunning. I have some blue orp eggs in the bator now and I am praying for results like yours and Speckled Hen's flocks.
    Hey, trapper, go to the search button and type in Orpingtons and just look at all the pics of them. they are a heavy bird, for both meat and eggs and also lay all winter long and the eggs are large brown eggs!! [​IMG]

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:No offense taken, we just like to brag on these chickens [​IMG] Now what I can't figure out is why anyone would even want to eat one these magnificent birds? They take my breath away with their beauty.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Speckled hen! Those are beauts! I want some of every breed I see! Yours are a great advertisement.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by