Why, please tell me...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by annageckos, Dec 4, 2011.

1. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Why do basset hounds smell like fritos? Yeah, it could be worst, but my pillow and blanket smell like fritos. [​IMG] Shorty (the basset) naps on my side of the bed. He also loves sleeping with his 'daddy'. So there is no way of keeping him off, which I wouldn't do anyway. I have talked to others with bassets and they say the same thing, so it is not just him. So all you basset owners, or owned by... Do your bassets smell like fritos too? [​IMG]

And yes, that is the culprit in my avatar.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can think of worse things to smell like.

3. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Never heard of such a thing but I'm now looking for a basset hound. Our two bulldog/hound mixes smell like funky dog. Always. I wouldn't take a million dollars for them but would pay a considerable amount if they smelled like fritos.

[​IMG]

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    OMGosh that's soo funny because my Beagle (RIP) Lola always smelled like fritos! I think it has something to do with their oily fur, I always had to bathe Lola all the time whereas I don't have to do that with my Golden Retriever, thank goodness

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it's usually the feet. dogs sweat through their feet and it can get caught in the hair between the pads, causing the smell. If it's the feet, you can trim the hair between the pads and wash their feet regularly.
    It's also believed that feeding a food that has a high corn content can cause the dog to smell.

6. annageckos

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing about the oils. My dogs only get maybe two baths a year, unless they happen to get into something. But even after a bath, maybe three days later he is back to smelling like fritos. I won't say it is really bad, but it is puzzling.

7. annageckos

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:It is not his feet, it is him. All over, even his slobber. I also feed my dogs raw food, so no corn at all for them. No grains either.

8. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Quote:Bingo.... we call it "Frito feet" [​IMG]

9. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    on mine it was DEFINITELY the fur not the feet. she was the oiliest dog I've ever seen, if I didn't bathe her for a while and you dumped water on her it would just roll of like on a duck's back. no joke

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Bingo.... we call it "Frito feet" [​IMG]

X3 I love frito feet smell in dogs, though I don't really care for the corn chips. Wonder why? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by