Why Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 24, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    No, this isn't flame bait. [​IMG] I want to know why I need to become addicted to another bird. [​IMG]

Good for eating? (I've eaten quail) Are coturnix good for this?

Easier to keep than chickens, ducks, turkeys?

They sure are pretty little things. Tell me what you like about them and why I should stick some eggs in my incubator and annoy my DH? [​IMG]

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    A few people have been asking that lately. Here is a link to some threads that you can look over:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=400680

You should definitely fill up that incubator now, and be ready to fill it again about every 19 to 23 days from now on. Once you see that first chick you will never go back!

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:The answer is NO you should not keep quail:

1. Unless you change the bedding frequently they will stink a mile.

2. If you do not give them enough room they will kill each other (including males killing females and vice versa, also poking their eyes out. They are very cruel creatures.)

3. Their eggs are small so some people do not to bother eating them, also boiled eggs are hard to peel. and fresh eggs are hard to break clean.

4. Their carcass is too small to consider them a "meat bird" lot of plucking and processing for little meat.

5. They need high protein expensive feed and they eat a lot of it.

6. They are impersonal, if you want to give them names you need to mark them off, otherwise they look all the same.

7. They need more protection from cold than other poultry.

8. Quail is the favorite meal for predators, hawks will cut their heads sticking out of the cage, coons will eat them through 1X2 wire or eat their feet through 1X1/2 wire.

7. They need expensive cages, or turn lose they will "free range" only once.

Did I forget something?

Disclaimer:

This are in no way mine only personal experiences or opinions this is a compilation of of other posts on BYC.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yep, you should get quail! [​IMG]
    Get really addicted to'em too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ( [​IMG] )
    For one thing I can almost get more addicted to quail then I can chickens! ( If that is even possible ) I have 42 in the bator due to hatch today! [​IMG]
    I already have 8 little Buttons, and I sold 5 .... I've lost a few babies but .. that happens right? [​IMG]
    Yep, you need quailies!
    For my buttons here is what I used:

I had 2 old dog cages, I got screwn wire and sewed it onto the cage with waxed thread used for sewing leather. The cages have trays at the bottom. I live in Texas and the summers get pretty dang hot! So the cages worked out great because you can see the quail and they get a good breez. [​IMG]

Yep, must add quail to your addiction! [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I started with one Pharaoh Coturnix....do I need to say more:lol:

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    This is our first year with quail. We really enjoy them. We sell both the meat and eggs. The thing I like most is they're mature in 6-7 weeks, although we give them a couple more for larger carcasses.

No plucking here, we remove head, wings and feet, then skin and gut them. Takes 5 minutes or less per bird.

I don't find the eggs hard to peel. I age them a week or so, then boil 4 minutes. Perfect for salads, pickling, scotch eggs or as a snack.

ETA: We also like to poach the eggs - we serve 5 on a slice of toast. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  7. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:YES! They are awesome little meat birds and will lay more eggs than you know what to with. Butchering takes about 3 minutes once you're used to is and it's EASY. They require very little room and feed and are SWEET little birds. Mine have better personalities than several of my rare chicken breeds [​IMG] My 3 year old had roast quail for lunch today (that he watched me butcher a few weeks ago) and he LOVES it.

8. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    What do you all say about the one nay vote? Your experience or not?

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    SkyWarrior: What do you all say about the one nay vote? Your experience or not?
    Mine - - - >

The answer is NO you should not keep quail:
    No ... the answer is YES! [​IMG]

1. Unless you change the bedding frequently they will stink a mile.
    I do agree, my buttons mess up their cage offten but the cage isn't very hard to clean out and they aren't in the house so Who Cares?

2. If you do not give them enough room they will kill each other (including males killing females and vice versa, also poking their eyes out. They are very cruel creatures.)
    I have never had any quail kill each other, they have always had plenty of room to get away from eachother.

3. Their eggs are small so some people do not to bother eating them, also boiled eggs are hard to peel. and fresh eggs are hard to break clean.
    I boil the eggs and feed them back to my hens, you can eat them my mom really likes them. [​IMG] Correction: Quail eggs are very easy to peel! The shell comes off soooooo easy! Here is a Tip: I always put ACV ( Apple Cider Vinegar ) in the water I boil them in. [​IMG] )

4. Their carcass is too small to consider them a "meat bird" lot of plucking and processing for little meat.
    I couldn't even think of eating my babies! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. They need high protein expensive feed and they eat a lot of it.
    Nope, their feed is pretty low and they don't eat hardly anything. a 5 lb. bag of Game Bird Crumbles lasted 13 quail about 2 - 3 months.

6. They are impersonal, if you want to give them names you need to mark them off, otherwise they look all the same.
    Why wouldn't you give them names? [​IMG] Quail can be very friendly I raised a little button male from a baby and he is still quiet friendly even though I haven't handled him in a few months.

7. They need more protection from cold than other poultry.
    Not Really, I have mine in a building that is outside ... no heating no cooling. Nothin'

8. Quail is the favorite meal for predators, hawks will cut their heads sticking out of the cage, coons will eat them through 1X2 wire or eat their feet through 1X1/2 wire.
    Not if you have them in a secure cage!

7. They need expensive cages, or turn lose they will "free range" only once.
    Not Really, depends on what you are willing to spend on them. We are very tight so I just made the cages I had work!

( Didn't Mean to Sound ... Well ... rude, mean etc. [​IMG] )

10. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I think pascopol added a "disclaimer" to leave his answer subjective.......but, there again, I'm not pascopol.......

I know he has (or has raised) Bobs, and they can deter the newbie-quail-raiser from wanting to continue doing so once they start displaying their little "terrorist" attitudes. That's all I raise, and a person has to build up a tolerance for some violence amongst this breed. It's their nature, and even though they are considered the tastiest of all quail species (by most), they can be very disappointing if you're into a breed that has civility to the point where no loss of head-count can be contributed to intolerance of each other..........they're just mean by Nature.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by