Why should I hatch Quail?

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
smile.png
I see many folks hatch out different varieties of quail. Please tell me why you started with them....& what pleasure you get from them so I can decide if they are for me or not. Do you set them free at some time? They are (Bob whites) native to my area. Just curious! TIA

I originally started with button quail. I figured they'd be a great indoor pet, especially because they don't take up a lot of space. Now, honestly, I'm not sure why I still have them, or why I just put 67 eggs into the bator, lol. I finally did get coturnix quail, for meat/egg purposes, but they're great little birds. I love the sounds they make, they're very pretty (there's something about the wild look of the jumbo browns...), they're calm, easy to handle, etc. I just can't say enough about the coturnix.

Quote:
Same here for me except I have coturnix in the bator
tongue.png
. It is illegal in many states to just let quail free or even own certain types unless you have a gamebird license so I dont think too many are doing that. Many types are kept in aviaries and are more for looking at and others
are kept for eggs and meat. My coturnix will mostly be for eggs and enjoyment to watch and hatch, I can have more than chickens due to the size and housing needs and it feeds my
obsession to incubate
lol.png

Quote:
Same here for me except I have coturnix in the bator
tongue.png
. It is illegal in many states to just let quail free or even own certain types unless you have a gamebird license so I dont think too many are doing that. Many types are kept in aviaries and are more for looking at and others
are kept for eggs and meat. My coturnix will mostly be for eggs and enjoyment to watch and hatch, I can have more than chickens due to the size and housing needs and it feeds my
obsession to incubate
lol.png

Ahhh.......................I see. I need to look up my local laws then. I have been sitting on the fence w/quail but I just love all birds and their size is a big PLUS.:<)

Coturnix is my main love but i too started out with button quail. And managed to have 12 buttons back in my bator
th.gif
I dont have room for them though so no fear of me keeping them this time! LOL! Or so i say.
lau.gif

Also got bobwhites in there and more coturnix. The bobwhites are for crossing with the coturnix (well im keeping a few like 3) and the rest are being sold to a guy who ordered them for me to hatch for him.

The coturnix.....100+ in there im selecting a few from and selling the rest.

They are sweet, BEAUTIFUL, edible, geneticable, and just fun...able.
big_smile.png

Lol. We're going to push you off the fence, onto the side of GET COTURNIX! Lol. Really, you'll wonder why you hadn't gotten them sooner once you finally do get some.

Nancy, I have 19 coturnix in the bator too, lmao.

*in a hypnotizing tone* Yooouu wiill gettt cootuuurrrnniiiixxxxx commmmee tooo the darrrk ssiiiideeeeeeee oooooooooo
tongue.png

Im special-er... 100+ honestly i dunno how many i have now... prob 150.... put in 24 today woohoooo
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif

Quote:
my problem was I was already leaning this way till I started reading everyones post on coturnix
smile.png
Now I got 12 Jumbos, 40 some eggs in the bator and going to be buying more from a couple different people so I can have diverse bloodlines
smile.png

OK...................I am convinced!LOLOL
Bow long to brood....feed ...adulthood?
Oh good grief I PROMISED no more incubating!!! Can my silkies hatch them????? If so I am so IN.
Better yet..... I'll have the dh thinking they are aliens hatched by silkies! LOLOL
lau.gif

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, reading on the history of these guys, silkies were exactly they used for hundreds of years. The domesticated quail kind of lost their taste for broodiness!

Back
Top Bottom