Why skin?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Josh45640, May 12, 2011.

1. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I noticed that most of you reccomend skinning versus plucking for quail. Why is that? Ive plucked wild bobwhites that Ive shot before and they tasted pretty good to me. The only birds that I prefer skinning over plucking are some wild ducks and wild turkeys. Im just curious.

2. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    I skin because I'm not the type to set picking feathers off the 10th quail when I could be skinning the 30th [​IMG]

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Eggzactly!! [​IMG] Bill

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Speed Of Processing And Ease... Just That Simple. To Be Honest They Loose Flavor And The Meat Is More Prone To Drying Out When Skinned. Personally I Pluck Bobs And Skin Coturnix

5. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Have you ever tried bleeding them out freezing whole uncleaned and then putting them in 135 degree water. Supposedly they pluck easily and eviscerate all in one piece?

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I skin mergansers when I clean them I skin snipe and rails when I clean them they don,t taste as much like fish then I skin coturnix most days it only take me 2-3 minutes to dispatch skin clean and throw them into the ice water all done with my trusty scissors there is an older gentleman on utube that does a pretty good vid on cleaning quail it may be a bit graphic for some but it is really easy/quick the way he does it but just the other day I actually slowed down and plucked a coupla bobs for me and the missus [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Have you ever tried bleeding them out freezing whole uncleaned and then putting them in 135 degree water. Supposedly they pluck easily and eviscerate all in one piece?

UMMM, WOW HOW TO SAY THIS???

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWW! NOT IN MY FREEZER... ANYTHING GOIN IN THERE IS CLEAN BARE CARCASS, HEAT SEALED IN SHRINK WRAP... (WELL ALMOST... I HAVE DONE THIS WITH TROUT AND SALMON FROM FLY FISHING TRIPS BEFORE... GUTTED AND DECAPITATED, BUT STILL NEEDED SCALING OR FILLETING... BUT THEY WERE STILL SEALED UP [​IMG] )

THEY CLEAN PRETTY EASY THAT WAY FRESH TOO... JUST A PAIN IN THE BUTT PLUCKIN A BUNCH OF SMALLER BIRDS [​IMG] BUT I PERSEVERE [​IMG]

8. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    ICKKKKIE was my first thought also! Just throwing something out there in case it worked. Any brave souls want to try it?

9. wezl

wezl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    West Georgia
    After plucking a couple of my first ones, my back ached, I looked around and saw how much other stuff I could've gotten finished in that amount of time, and said no more! I found the vid mentioned and did the other eight in just about a minute each. And went on with my life (yay! [​IMG] ) The plucked were tastier, to me, but drop some garlic butter and roasted peppers with the skinned ones in a cast iron pan , and call it gourmet, LOL!

10. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Hatch, Raise, Dispatch, Snip, Snip, Snip, Snip, Skin, Rip, Gut, Wash, Soak, Flour, Fry, Drain, Steam, Gravy...........Pig Out!!!!!!!!!........Repeat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by