Why slow growing??

BigDaddy'sGurl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Wilkesboro NC
I have been raising chickens for a good while now but am always at a loss when I see pics of some of the other BYCer's pullets/cockerals of the same age as mine. Why do my young birds seem like dwarves compared?? The bantams I understand but the LFs?? I am almost embarrassed to show pics of my birds that are the same age! What am I doing wrong?? I feed chick starter and let them free range as well as often as possible...am I missing something?

nobody have advice...?
sad.png

What breeds are you talking about? If you are feeding them plenty of chick starter and then chick grower and they free-range they may just be a bird that matures slower. I have birds that will be laying at 4 months and others that wont think about it before 6 or 7 months. It really just depends on the breed. I am sure yours are fine.
love.gif

Umm...don't think so? My chickens come from private breeders and many are mutts...and when compared to people on this board's mutts, mine fall far short size-wise...

at one time I thought i was feeding plenty of food to my chicks that were in with the adult birds. they were bantam size but large fowl in the fall. finally I realized the older hens were pushing the chicks away from the feeder and once I corrected that problem they caught up size wise. the next yr I did not make that mistake.

Back
Top Bottom