Why so late?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Senna95, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I just got my first Pilgrim egg of the year. Last year they started laying at the beginning of February, and it was way colder last year too. What could have caused them to start so late?

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    We too are having a late start to the season with some geese only just starting to mate. I guess its just down to the birds but we did have a very mild January which may have caused some disruption to their breeding cycle.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    My Tufted Buffs (just one pair) just laid their first egg 2 days ago.,They and the others laid in Jan. end the last 2 years....My ducks are off too, I had some mini's start and stop. My Runners are just starting to lay. My drakes weren't "interested" until just a week or so ago.... Maybe they need a "cooling cycle"....LOL

4. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    My runners aren't laying well either. My Harlequins just started, and my mallards are very sporatic. It's a weird year I guess.

5. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We are just starting to see eggs in the past few days.

Pretty much across the board, chickens, ducks, geese.

I am thinking there is a population explosion brewing.

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    We've had another 3 geese start to lay over the last couple of days but still waiting for our Sebastopols to start. Seems to be a slightly later start this year but laying usually starts in March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by