Why so many blood spots?

Nature Gurl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
Vancouver Island
I have 5 backyard laying hens. No rooster. Two of my birds have recently started to lay and the other 3 are seasoned pros but are slowing down in production a wee bit. I just made omelettes this morning and out of 11 eggs I cracked, 5 of them had really noticeable blood spots. Primarily the eggs from the new layers. Whats up with that? Is this because they are new at laying? They are fed layer pellets, kitchen scraps and get the run of the yard so I don't think it has anything to do with their diet. They are all healthy. I have heard so many different things about blood spots. Does anyone have any incite on what the real deal is with my birds?

Check this out. It’s written more for commercial operations but the science still holds true.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

As you can see, it can be many things. I get those too from the same pullet. I think it is something genetic with her. Hopefully yours is just that they are young and starting to lay. Give them some time.

What happens is that when the yolk is released to start its journey, a tine blood vessel, a capillary, breaks and leaks a little blood. It’s safe to eat but yeah, there is a YUK! Factor. Commercial hens do that too but they electronically candle those commercial eggs so they don’t get to the supermarket and surprise a customer. They still sell those eggs to someone that will scramble them when they use them, maybe a bakery, but for less money.

Thank you! I have of course seen the occasional blood spot but not like I have seen from these two new layers. I am hoping as they mature they will settle in and start laying nicer eggs. For now I suppose the dogs will be enjoying more omelettes than usual and I don't think they mind!

Back
Top Bottom