why so many egg farts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by piecemaker, May 3, 2009.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I got my first one on March 16 from a RIR. I got my 4th one today. Three have come from the RIRs or the black sex link and one from a white leghorn samatra cross. They are fed hen scarch and are free range plus all the kitchen left overs. I was also feeding laying pellets but they stopped eating it, the cats would eat more of it then the chickens. Is this just one chicken doing this or do you think it is more than one doing it? [​IMG] [​IMG]

piecemaker

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i guess i haven't heard of an egg fart yet.

what are they?

3. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    I would try another layer feed. Try crumbles.... my girls hate the pellets but go nuts for the crumbles. There is a little more that gets wasted because of the fines in the crumbles but its worth it. Put in some oyster shell too.

4. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Chickie'sMoma :

i guess i haven't heard of an egg fart yet.

what are they?

[​IMG]

the small one is an egg fart or wind egg they are cute but don't think my egg buyer will pay for them
    piecemaker​

5. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    What is in an egg fart? Is it all yolk or all white?

6. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Its usually all whhites

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I've only ever gotten one of these, and it was from an EE hen - her last egg before she stopped laying due to seasonal molt. It was a complete miniature egg, yolk and all. I figured it was just whatever was left before she started working on growing new feathers.

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    thanks.

i'm new to the whole chicken raising thing. we never went over much on chickens when i took animal science about 13 years ago. focused more on dog, cats, horses and cattle at the time.

thanks again for the info!

9. Ky Chicken Fan

Ky Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    We had a few of these last winter for some reason. Broke a few and ours at first glance appeared to be all white, but closer inspection showed a definate clear yolk inside a clear white. Very weird. Here is a pic, don't know if anyone can see it very well, it is the best one of the ones I took at the time.

[​IMG]

10. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:I got another today. This one was from the leghorn samatra cross. I think I will check tomorrow with A and M see what they think. Will ask about changing the feed to crumbles
    Piecemaker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by