why some lay and some not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newfeathers, Nov 20, 2010.

1. newfeathers

newfeathers New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Ohio
    At 21 weeks some of my hens started laying:D Now at 24 weeks I still have 4 hens not laying (Australorps & Barred Rocks) The only thing different about my hens is the breed. Am I just being impatient?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Patience Grasshopper. Each breed is different and each bird is an individual. They will lay when their bodies are mature enough to lay and everyone matures at their own pace.

To put it another way, I have four sisters. We all "started" at different ages too.

3. newfeathers

newfeathers New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I have 2 chickens that are 27 weeks old and they still aren't laying. However they are hanging out in the nesting boxes lately so I hoping.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My Brahma juveniles are over 30 weeks and I won't be expecting eggs this year.

6. newfeathers

newfeathers New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for your posts. I'm new to the forum and I love reading all the talk about chickens. My hens that aren't laying are four of the friendliest. I think they enjoy being petted and they will allow you to pick them up. They will even fly up on my arm when I allow it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by