Why such a long break?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickety china, Aug 29, 2013.

1. chickety china

chickety china Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    I have 7 pullets in my mixed flock that are over 20 weeks. They've been exhibiting all the signs of being ready to lay. I've had a few squatting for a couple of weeks and a few egg songs. Finally I found what appeared to be a shell less egg on Monday that was picked at. No egg since and they've been incredibly quiet ever since despite being super noisy recently. Not sure what if anything is going on. They seem healthy and happy it just seems like they've regressed. Doesn't help that I've been super anxious since Monday. I know initial laying is inconsistent, so how long of a break can they take between the first lay and the next?

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    There is no telling how long of a "break" a young chicken will make when they start off laying, we just have to be patient. However considering you found a shell-less egg that had been pecked at there is a good chance you have some egg eating going on which is a big problem.

Do they free range or stay in a chicken run?
    How often do you check on the chickens throughout the day?

3. chickety china

Feb 4, 2013
    They are confined to a coop and run so there really isn't anywhere they could hide. This week I've been fortunate to be around and able to check on them every couple of hours, but normally its before and adter work. I don't think another egg has been laid unless they are totally burying it or are eating all traces of it. No shells or egg remnants. I'm not entirely sure about that first egg as it was flat with yolk splattered about. It was laid on the perch attached to their nest boxes and had seeped into the cracks and seemed as though the membrane wasn't really there either.

4. chickety china

Feb 4, 2013
    After all the long wait this is what I found this morning! I guess whichever girl it was just needed some time. Still shell-less but beautiful nonetheless!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by