Why, That Little Delaware Cassanova!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Apr 26, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have 9 Delaware youngsters in the coop, 4 of them are cockerels from which I will choose my final keeper rooster. They will be 9 weeks old this week. Today, I am in the coop and one of the pullets jumps up to the nest boxes for the first time. I put her back down. Later on, I come back and she is in one nest, messing around. The nests are just below a chicken wire wall so I can see into the entire coop from the storage area. Suddenly, another head pops up from the next nestbox..it's one of my cockerels, one that is looking very promising. He starts cooing and singing, a sound I've never heard from him before, and he sits down, pulling shavings around him, just like my grown roosters do when they are trying to entice a hen into the nest! The pullet is looking on all this time and he's "talking" to her. I am astonished! Never have I seen a cockerel do that at this very tender age. He's going to be one to watch, this little Romeo! [​IMG]

2. I just love watching their behavior!

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Kids these days, they're maturing earlier and earlier. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

You think I should give him "The Talk"? [​IMG]

6. About where the birds and bees come from you mean?

[​IMG]

You know... That saying has always gotten to me. Where the birds and bees come from is nothing like where the humans come from, so why do we say that?!
    [​IMG]

7. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Yeah, Cyn I think it's time, before he gets some poor girl in trouble. [​IMG]

8. Wouldn't want him to leave some girl with a boatload of eggs under her...

9. speckledhen

[​IMG] Get this: I marked the males and females with permanent marker so I could accurately follow their progress. For instance, there is a blue girl and a blue boy, one each in green, purple, etc. This boy is marked in purple and it was the purple girl he was trying to woo, LOL.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    That is ever so funny.LOL Next year I will just have to make another trip. Hopefully not as expensive as last time. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by