Why the Differences in looks and Molt in these Buff Brahmas Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SCPumpkinTown, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SCPumpkinTown

SCPumpkinTown New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    We have some young Buff Brahmas that came from the same hatch. But some of the hens look more like a rooster. They are taller and slimmer than the other hens. Some of the hens are so pretty. They are shorter and more rounded. The rooster, and the hens that look more like him, are in molt. The regular looking pretty hens are not molting. These chickens are 5 months old today. Is this normal?? See pictures below:

[​IMG]

These are the pretty hens..

[​IMG]

this is the molting rooster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are 2 of the taller hens that looks more like the rooster. They are in molt too. I guess that is molt. I hope they are not sick. Any help appreciated!!!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    The bottom three are males. Note the saddle feathers.

3. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    5 months and molting, hmmm, mine only molt at a year or more. Hope others chime in for more information. Best to you & your young flock.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Welcome to BYC.
    Yes the bottom two are male. My guess is they are going through their last juvenile molt. Brahmas being a slower maturing breed would make that about the right time. The cockerels mature first so they are going through it first, and relatively hard one. The pullets should be following them soon.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First picture is all females, other pictures are all males.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm curious, where do you live? It's a bit late in the season in the northern hemisphere for chickens to be in full molt, I would think.

I have Buff Brahmas. I've never had any molt like that until their second year, especially never at age five months.

Is the rooster that is molting heavily older than the rest?

7. SCPumpkinTown

SCPumpkinTown New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    They are all the same age. The man we bought them from when they were chicks said he thought maybe 2 of them were roosters. We were going by the fact the one that we know to be a rooster crows,the others do not. We live in the upstate of South Carolina and are pretty new to chickens. I just hope they are not sick or something.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How long have you had them? Are the hens laying yet? Were they subjected to harsh conditions where they came from? Deprived of food for periods of time? How clean was the place where they came from? Have you inspected their skin for parasites? Parasites can irritate the skin and might result in feather loss.

Extreme stress can cause molt. Bad nutrition can. Is your coop vulnerable to rats? Rats can attack chickens on the roost at night.

Five-months olds shouldn't be molting like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by