why the heck aren't my EE's laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Nov 2, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My easter eggers are driving me crazy!!

Three of them molted early this summer and still haven't started laying again - what gives?

One is only 11 months old, she started laying last May and quit in June when she molted, she hasn't laid anything since...

One is about 1.5 years old, she was an excellent layer since I got her last spring, she molted in July and hasn't laid since...

One about 2.5 years old, I got her last year and she was laying about 3 eggs per week, she molted last May and hasn't laid since...

I'm about to cry [​IMG]

My other easter egger group (hatched myself last March from EE x production hens) started laying late this summer, I was getting an egg a day from all 4 of them and now I'm lucky if I get ONE green egg a day in that coop. One of them hasn't even started laying yet and she's almost 8 months old.

I have about 30 other hens of laying age and everyone is laying well, apart from the ones that are actively molting.

Is this normal?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

2. fl_deb

fl_deb Songster

May 7, 2010
    Have you checked carefully for a hidden nest???

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Are you making sure to give them enough of what they need in the feed? Laying pellets???

4. technodoll

technodoll Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Are you making sure to give them enough of what they need in the feed? Laying pellets???

no hidden nests and yes, they get the BEST possible food and foraging... like I said, all the other hens are laying beautifully, everyone is happy and healthy, they are dewormed regularly, no parasites that I can see, no stress and they have been getting early morning light in the coop (via timer) the past month.

It's ONLY my EE girls that won't lay... i want those green eggs again! [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's similar here. I haven't provided light because I get enough eggs from my mixed flock for our use; in the summer I give many away. Presently getting 2-5 eggs a day, but only about one blue egg a week. I have 3 EE's and they all used to lay blue eggs. The EE's are not molting and are about 2.5 years old. The blue color isn't as bright and pretty as it used to be, either. In addition, one of my EE's died during her first year, just climbed in a pile of hay and died, no warning. I got them for the grandkids to see blue eggs. Won't get any more, and I won't let a broody set on a blue egg, either.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    This is a complete long-shot, but have you checked the roosting area for mites or ticks right after sunset? They can cause a reduction in productivity. Both mites and ticks can hide in the crevices and cracks around the roosts during the day and feed on the birds at night. You often won't know unless you look for them after dark. It's an easy thing to check on and rule out. Good luck.

7. technodoll

technodoll Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:No I haven't checked but my two flocks (who are in separate coops) are all very healthy, I just find it strange that my brown and white egg layers are all laying very well but my EE's are hardly laying at all, I'm getting maybe ONE green egg a day from 8 laying girls (one hasn't even started yet and she's almost 8 months old!).

If it was a coop issue, a health issue or a food issue wouldn't everyone be affected?

Right now it's JUST the easter eggers who aren't laying and haven't been laying for months on end...

*frustrated and at a loss*

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    O.K. I miss-read. I thought the EEs were in their own coop away from the other breeds. I feel your frustration. It does seem odd that just the EEs would be having problems. I hope you are able to find some answers.

9. technodoll

technodoll Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:Me tooooo! It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma dropped in a big black hole! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by