Why the raised brown speckling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hillfarm, Sep 14, 2010.

1. hillfarm

hillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    My EE lays smooth green eggs, sometimes. Other times there are raised brown speckles all over the shell. Why?
    The gang is free ranged and given laying mash.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Don't know the answer to this, but I always get them on my brown eggs,

Sandie

3. hillfarm

hillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Central Texas
    My husband's theory is that she's getting more bugs and they protein is transferring to the shell. I guess it could be. Just thought it odd.

4. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    I get that too, with only one of my EEs. Sometimes they're smooth and solid colored, other times rough with the tiny brown speckles. Doesn't seem to correspond to more free range time or anything else that I can pair it with.

Beth

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    A green egg is a blue egg with brown spray paint. So if the painter doesn't spray it evenly, you'll get the speckles.

6. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    If it's raised speckles, instead of just 'paint spatters', then it's just an excess of calcium on the shell. I believe there is scientific research on the subject, but I'm not too savvy about the technicalities of the phenomenon. Need to read up on it again..... I think I can safely say, it's not a problem at all though. Eggs are safe, hen should be safe, not a problem. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by