Why the teddy bears?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kipoley, May 25, 2010.

1. kipoley

kipoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    In the brooder. What are my chicks missing out on?
    ~Kimberly

2. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Maybe it reminds them of a Momma? IDK?[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Something to snuggle with, if there are only a couple of chicks in the brooder. I think a cheap feather duster would work better; the chicks can actually snuggle up inside it, just like they do with Momma. (Or would, if they had a Momma in the brooder with 'em.)

I put a small stuffed animal in with my two ducklings, because the feather duster was already in use by the four chicks in my OTHER brooder. Good decision, too, because the ducks mucked up that toy pretty badly... it was easier to wash and give back to them. I haven't tried to wash a feather duster...... [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It gives them something to snuggle up on. Lots of times you'll have one chick hatch way before the others, and lone chicks tend to do poorly.

A snuggly toy comforts them, gives them something to snuggle under if too hot or cold, and stops the infernal screeeeetching of the lone chick. [​IMG]

ETA: I use a monkey.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I don't use them. They are just another thing to clean.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I hang a feather duster - and like gryeyes states - they love it. They will snuggle down under the feathers for naps.

I also give stuffed animals - the chicks like to snuggle, jump up on and peck at.

7. kipoley

kipoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    My babies in a feather duster... I gotta have one! [​IMG] They would be so cute peeping out of it! That makes way more sense than bears.
    Thanks, I love this site [​IMG]
    ~K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by