Why use a red bulb?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom2chicksandpups, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I have noticed several posts mentioning a red bulb. Why red? I am new and inexperienced at raising chickens, so thought I'd ask. Do you guys use a red bulb from the beginning with new chicks, start at a certain age, or what? I am clueless!

Thanks!!

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

it discourages picking by disguising any injuries etc... camouflages things.

3. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    So are they used with chickens of all ages or does this matter?

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I use a red bulb because it provides heat 24-7 without providing light 24-7. I think constant light stresses the birds out. I have used the red from day one. I just turn the room lights on and off for light.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, chickens do see red light, so a red bulb is still 24-hr lighting. It is dimmer than an equivalent-wattage white bulb (which may be part of why it reduces picking - the other factor being, *everything* looks reddish, so wounds look more or less blackish under a red bulb, not a peckable bright red).

If you really wanted them to have dark at night, you'd need to go to a purely heat emitting device, like those ceramic thingies.

Pat

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I use a 11 watt red sign light bulb. I figured it cost me, according to my electric bill, $3.00 a month to run 24/7. It gives just enough light for the birds and me to see in the coop without being bright. Like a night light.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Get a bulb style thermometer with the red stuff in it. Try to read it under a red brooder light. [​IMG]

You can't see the red under the red light! Chickens will peck at red spots, but under red light they can't see them nearly as well!!!

Also red light doesn't mess up your night vision. So if you stick your head in the coop with the red light on, you don't trip over your lawnmower while trying to make it back to the house at dusk.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:you must speak of experience.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:That may be more of a DIMness issue.

Red objects (such as the inside of a thermometer) show up *black* under red light.

I just checked, and I can read the thermometer under my red brooder light just fine. Of course I have to tip it back and forth to get the right angle to see it, but I do sometimes *anyhow* [​IMG]

Pat

10. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG] Ah! Sounds like you are graceful, like me! [​IMG] That is good for me to know since I have lots of experience with tripping over things!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by