Why wait a month to provide a roost?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brandnewbie, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Brandnewbie

Brandnewbie Hatching

Jan 23, 2012
    I just got my first batch of chicks two weeks ago. I got 2 silkies, 3 speckled sussex, 3 rir and 2 australtorp. They all seem to be doing well, doubled their weight in a week.

The sources I've seen say to provide chicks with a perch once they're 4 weeks old.

I'm wondering, why not earlier?

I build a small roost of 3/4 x 3/4 square wood, the chicks love jumping on and over them, and sometimes resting/sleeping on them.

Am I harming the chicks or creating future problems by having roosts at 10 days old?

2. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I hope not .. mine have been roosting since 3 days old

3. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I've never heard that before. I had a roost in the brooder from day one, they started using the roost right before they turned 2 weeks old. They are now 2 1/2 weeks old and will sleep on the roost, heck the use the feeder and waterer as a roost also.

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I hatch quite a few chicks a year and I try to have a roost in their brooder if possible.

Nate

5. Brandnewbie

Brandnewbie Hatching

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks All

Storrey's and a couple of places here said add roost at 4 weeks, but they do seem to enjoy it so much I hated the idea of taking it out.

6. Craig Smith

Craig Smith Chirping

May 14, 2010
    I didn't know that! I have some two weeks old. I will try tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

7. felidaet

felidaet Songster

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I put a roost in my brooder when I set up he brooder. The roost is only 2" above the floor. The chicks start using it very early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by