why was it cracked ? /:

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenmaniac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    [​IMG]
    So today i got my first egg and i have 16 chickens (2 are roos and 14 are hens) anyways most of them are to young to lay eggs because 12 of them are 2 1/2 months or younger so it had to be from one of my four 5 month old hens and 2 of them are rhode island reds and thwe other two are buff orphingtons. im sure it came from a buff orphington because the rhode islands do not look ready to lay. Anyways i wanna know why it was broken?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Any number of reasons. It looks like it got stepped on. Chickens are really nosy.

3. chickenmaniac

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    by a chicken right? but when i noticed it it look like one of my rhode island reds was picking at it

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The RIR probably wasn't picking at it until after it was broken. Chickens LOVE eggs and egg shells. They won't usually eat their own raw eggs, it goes against their instincts, but when one is broken, they will instinctually make it disappear so as to not attract predators. There's a learning curve involved when newbies start laying.

5. chickenmaniac

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    do you guys know when it will lay another one?

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Nope. It sometimes takes them a while to get started, but others get right on it and start laying pretty much daily once they start.

7. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    It may be a few days or a few weeks 'til she lays another one. They lay pretty inconsistently until they turn about a year old and then they lay almost every day depending on breed. My orpington is a year old now and lays every day an RIR are supposed to be good layers.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i've got hens who will peck at layed eggs and crack them just to eat them but until you see a layed egg that hasnt been broken and is getting pecked at they most likly just stepped on it,, that happens here to they step on the eggs, peck at them, eat them, ect

9. chickenmaniac

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    dang so i gotta wait a while then [​IMG] i thought once they stated laying they would lay everyday after. thank you guys for the info and @hdowden why do they eat ur eggs?

10. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    It looks like the shell was weak. You need to feed the older ones oyster shell.

Once they start eating eggs it is hard to get them to stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by