Why wasn't I warned?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hdchic, Jun 18, 2008.

1. hdchic

hdchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Got my 27 new little Barred Rock chicks today, I would have appreciated a little warning on the CUTE FACTOR!!!! OMG I almost fell over they are SOOOO CUTE!! hehe... [​IMG]

I had the 50 meat bird chicks, and yes, they were cute in their own right. Standard yellow and fuzzy. But these little girls, with their black bodies and yellow/white butts are killing me!! I keep going to the brooder just to look at the little boogers...LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Wait until you hatch your own, it gets worse...lol Also if you ever get americanas or EE, You get a batch of those in and no one looks alike!!! It is sooooo fun to watch thier little personalities emerge. Jenn

3. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    oh just wait...they remain cute for a few more weeks...then puberty...and honestly even in their ugly state...still cute! My BR is 3 weeks old and has gotten her barred feathers...still cute!

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    People here don't warn us newbs about anything [​IMG]
    They wait until we get sucked in and then enable our addiction.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. hdchic

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    [​IMG] ROFL @ chicknhawaii That is sooo true!! DH laughs at me because I keep calling them "my lil peep-peeps"...he thinks I've lost my brain.

And oh, I can't wait to watch their personalities come out...I hope they all make it!!

6. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I just got my 5 barred rocks yesterday from MPC and i can't get over how cute they are!!!!!!!!!!! Although i have to say I'm a bit more attatched to the ones I hatched out on monday/tuesday.

I'm hooked...

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We don't warn people of the about them being so cute!...it's suppose to be a surprise...

Might want to change them from newspapers to something less slick so they don't get spraddle leg tho...use paper towels for a few days then put woodshavings under those and then lift the paper towels off to just use the shavings...

Spraddle leg is not something pretty to have to take care of.....

8. hdchic

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Thanx for the tip, I will be doing that today!! [​IMG]

As for the suprise in cuteness.....I was once told that baby anything was cute...but dang, these are waaaaayyyy cuter than I expected!! I always thought "How can you get attached to a chicken?" and although I'm not going to 'snuggle' with them, I am wondering how I'm going to name them all and keep them straight!! LOL

9. JerryO

JerryO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    We just got our Red Star and Leghorn girls and they are the cutest little things. Our 5 Buff Orpingtons are remaining cute even though they are 3 weeks old now...but you are so correct, nobody warned me about how cute or how crazy, head over heals I would fall for these little ladies! Congrats on your babies![​IMG]

10. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you didnt need a warming.because you was gonna be over taken by the cute lil fuzzybutts.the cute factor only last 3wks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by