Why why why??? ANGRY, SAD, and NEED ANSWER!!

BigDaddy'sGurl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Wilkesboro NC
What causes chicks to be in the wrong position to pip??? I have been having this problem A LOT lately. I will have a few chicks hatch healthy and then the majority don't even internally pip. When I crack the eggs days late, the chicks are fully formed with yolk not quite absorbed and are in the wrong position to pip! Not even internally pipped! WHAT IS UP??? I'm getting really frustrated with getting chicks all the way to a day or two from hatching and having death!!

By the way, the temp stays at 101.5 F still air, humidity at 55 % for hatching time. I've tried hatching in cartons and out with same result!!
he.gif
he.gif

I'm so sorry!
The only thing that comes to mind is if they're growing too big to be able to turn around in the egg. I've read that if the humidity is too high during the first 18 days not enough moisture evaporates from the egg, resulting in a large chick and a small air sac.
Just a guess, I'm sure the more experienced members will be of more help.

Thanks all: I have multiple thermometers, and have calibrated all. Also, I used the "dry incubation" method, and don't really check the humidity too much. I up it the last three days. This is NOT a shrink wrap problem, and I have had no temp. spikes. The membrane is pliable and soft, the chicks are just in the wrong position! I put them big end up, I turn three times a day, I'm just stumped! It seems like such a waste of life! Also, they seem to fit very well...not too big in the egg, but not too small for the egg...perfect fit and should be able to turn...This is so frustrating! I feel like I'm killing little chicks.
sad.png

ETA: before I used the dry incubation method, my hatch rates were worse...

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I just did eggtopsies today, and of the 7, 6 were in the total wrong position for hatching. I also used the dry incubation method, as my last hatch last year was disaterous with too much humidity.

Red&Yellow :

I feel your pain. I just did eggtopsies today, and of the 7, 6 were in the total wrong position for hatching. I also used the dry incubation method, as my last hatch last year was disaterous with too much humidity.

I commiserate with you...
hit.gif

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I moved them too much? I forgot about lockdown until day 19...the live ones didn't pip until early day 21 but maybe...who knows...
hit.gif

Maybe incubating at 1 degree lower. I also lower the temp by about tw0 degrees the day before they are to hatch.

Quote:
Thanks for this! I will go to walmart (
roll.png
I hate walmart but this would be worth it) tomorrow and pick up a few of the aquarium thermometers. I will follow this advice to the letter coming up as I have another lockdown next week... I have two LGs and so I will have a little time to try this stuff out as the hatcher will be empty until next week...I assume all the recommendations would work for the hatcher as opposed to incubator?

ETA: do you think it matters if I don't use a turner? I turn mine by hand because the last time I used a turner the motor overheated and it cooked my chickies...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom