why will my non broody hen not laying

ange

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
CORNING NY
I only have 2 hens, just starting out. Both were great egg layers. One hen us broody, so I am in the process of building her a brood cage, so they are still together, and now the non broody hen is not laying any eggs either, no eggs for a week now.
Why? Is it necause the other henb is broody?

Im not sure-Is the broody stealing the eggs and putting them under her-My very first broody hen-3 weeks ago-kept stealing the other 2 hens eggs and I couldnt get them-she's on 14 now! You need to mark the eggs the broody is sitting on and pull out the others that arent marked when laid--I bet they are laying:)

Do you even have a rooster? Your eggs won't be fertile unless you have one of them so there is no point in setting up your broody hen.

How long have you had the hens and what are you feeding them?

Last edited:
no I do not have a rooster, and am not looking to add or fertilize any more eggs or chickens, i have 6 more baby chicks, that are not old enough to join the others yet. I just am concerned of my broody health and happiness and why my other hen is not laying eggs either. Since I am not looking to frertilize eggs, I should still make a broody cage for her?

Back
Top Bottom