Why won’t my chickens drink their water in the coop?

alinas2010

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
I take their waterer out at night and I bring fresh water in a heated waterer out to my ladies coop every morning around 6:30 when they wake up. But they hardly touch it, just a gulp or so each.

Eventually, (due to weather), around mid morning, 10 ish, they’ll venture out into their run. I haven’t been putting their outdoor waterer out there until 11 - 12 ish because it’s not heated and freezes. They all run to it as if they are absolutely PARCHED and huddle around it gulping water down. They act like they have none in their coop.

Anyone else’s do this? Is it just cause chickens are weird? They seem to hate the waterer in their coop, even if I switch them out, they still don’t like the water in the coop, even when it’s fresh!

How warm is the water?
Try fermenting or wetting the feed if you think it's a problem. I ferment when things start freezing just to get a little more water in them.
I believe the heated waterer keeps it just above freezing. Maybe they prefer really really cold water instead. That’s a good idea, I’ve been looking into fermented feed.

I too carry water down to my chickens daily. It is a little disconcerting, in very cold weather for them to turn up their noses at fresh water, but madly dash around, getting the ice slivers that I stomped our of their black rubber bowls.

Mine always have fresh water once a day, and I don't heat it. But in the winter, they don't drink a lot of it like in the summer heat.

I also soak grain, but not the pellets. The grain may freeze, but they can peck it loose. The pellets turns to a mash that freezes solids and they won't touch it.

Mrs K

I too carry water down to my chickens daily. It is a little disconcerting, in very cold weather for them to turn up their noses at fresh water, but madly dash around, getting the ice slivers that I stomped our of their black rubber bowls.

Mine always have fresh water once a day, and I don't heat it. But in the winter, they don't drink a lot of it like in the summer heat.

I also soak grain, but not the pellets. The grain may freeze, but they can peck it loose. The pellets turns to a mash that freezes solids and they won't touch it.

Mrs K
I suppose they’re somewhat good at knowing what they need….maybe. Surely they won’t dehydrate them selves when water is readily available 🤔 on second thought, I’ll have to try wetting some grain incase they are that silly. Great suggestion.

No, I do not think they will dehydrate themselves. I would not worry about the water in the coop, I would remove it, just to keep the moisture down in the coop.

As long as an animal was water available to them, they get enough water. They know more about their needs than we do. So if they come out at 10:00 and get a good drink, that is probably just fine.

Mrs K

Have you tested to see if they'll drink from the heated waterer outside?
Yes we have tried that, and they will drink from it outside. They’re so funny in how picky they are. I won’t ever understand bird brain.
No, I do not think they will dehydrate themselves. I would not worry about the water in the coop, I would remove it, just to keep the moisture down in the coop.

As long as an animal was water available to them, they get enough water. They know more about their needs than we do. So if they come out at 10:00 and get a good drink, that is probably just fine.

Mrs K
That’s a good point, it can’t hurt as long as there is water available. I’m going to take your advice and not bring water in there in the morning. I’ll just leave it outside and I bet they don’t even miss the water inside.

Back
Top Bottom