Why wont anyone help me? added pics!! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Feb 13, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i only have 2 chickens now, due to the fact that i got 4 roosters out of 5 chickens!!! So, i thought i would get more hens for my remaining rooster, and a companionship for my lonely hen!
    So, i decided to get 6 ( or 7 [​IMG] ) more Silver Laced Wyandottes.

i have 2 horses, but they do not use the barn as we have a new structure for them .. So we now have 2 available stalls for brooding chicks. So i decided i would brood 7 (maybe 8 if i can talk my grandma into it) So would it be okay if i brooded them out in the barn? Of course there would be heat lamps, and it would be all closed up except 2 windows covered in wire.. But completely predator proof. But Im a little worried about the heat issue. It would be end of march.. but how many heat lamps would i need for a standard barn? I will post pics tonight

ETA: add more to the story and to make it so maybe someone will reply!!!

Pics:

Outdoor view of barn.. top section of door open
    [​IMG]

Sorry computer wont let me rotate.. this is the view of the inside.. The hay will be moved, and the ladder will be a roost.
    [​IMG]

Ugh!! Im sorry it wont rotate it. GRR!!! View of the stall
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    As long as its draft free you should be fine and of course the outside temp should hopefully have warmed up a lot by then. I would start with one 250w lamp if they huddle together under it all the time add another, if they move away from it raise it higher or go for a lower wattage and if they spread out nicely it's fine. You need to aim for 95 degrees under the lamp [​IMG]

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    alright... I was thinking 2 lamps on one side, water and food on the other, and then roosts somewhere in the middle... [​IMG] Does that sound good/??

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    What state do you live in? If it's cold the chicks need to feather out first before you put them in the barn.

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Can you wait a little while? Like a few months? Or try to get a hen that will help keep them warm. Heat lamps in barns always scare me. I've heard too many fire stories about people burning down their barns/ coops with heat lamps. I'm even nervous about mine in the basement.

6. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Yes that sounds good [​IMG] I do similar in my shed and they do fine [​IMG]

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Sounds like you have a good plan. I would make sure though that they have enough room to get away from the heat lamps in case there are times it is warmer. That way they can self regulate...if cold get closer, if not as cold move farther away. Good luck and have fun with your new chicks!

8. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I would not be able to wait.. But If i did have heat lamps, i would hang them by hooks very securely with zip ties and such... I already have tons of lighting in there so yeah.... I have one hen, but she is young and i dont know how well she would do with brooding... and she is a batnam.. So idk how she would do with standard sixed chicks?

9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Definately.. the stall are pretty large so im planning to have heat on one side and cold on the other.. and roosts in the middle.
    Eta: spelling

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  10. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Why don't you make a smaller area in one stall for them while they are small? You won't have to heat the entire barn and they can stay warmer easier in a smaller area.

As they grow and it gets warmer, you can enlarge the area they are in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by