Why won't my 1 day old chick open his eyes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhens44, Mar 31, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    My chick hatched out 1 day and 15 hours ago. But he doesn't open his eyes much. I saw him open them 3 times really quick and he doesn't look blind. Why is he doing this? Thanks any experience would help.

2. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    How is the chick doing now? It might just have been groggy from the whole pipping experience...

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    After they hatch they're always droopy, and 'worn out'. I'm guessing he's just

resting from defeating the 'ever-so-tough' egg [​IMG]

SC

4. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have never hatched chicks, but when mine arrived in the mail one of them didn't open her eyes for a day or so. I freaked out, but by the time anyone responded to me she was fine. I think it may be a stress thing. When one of my hens gets overwhelmed she starts to fall asleep

5. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    what happened to your chick that wouldn't open his eyes??? I have the same scenario going on! I had 2 baby chicks hatch yesterday, and one of them won't open it's eyes! I wiped them with a wet Q-tip, and gave it some drops of warm water sweetened with corn syrup... the eyes look fine, they weren't stuck, just closed?? [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Most of the time this type of behavior is harmless as long as it doesn't keep happening after 3 days. I bet you slept a lot too a few days after being born, and your mother did most of the work. Phew so tiring, being born!

7. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    What Pele said.

8. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    Quote:Quote:oh my, thanks.... I hope it's fine, the others are so active and chirpy! [​IMG]

9. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    it passed away overnight [​IMG]

10. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    It was probably for the best, its better for them to die young then suffer their whole lives and die later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by