Why wont my Araucanas Brood?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texascowboy1979, Jan 5, 2011.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year in spring, both my Araucanas Brooded there 1st cluch... Perfect, this fall, they did not brood, now, there 3rd cluch... they still have not gone broody. The nest has about 18 eggs... and they just stopped using the nest and began nesting in a new box... Whats the deal? What wont they brood?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Because they don't wanna?

You can lead the chicken to the clutch, but you can't make them sit [​IMG]

3. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know that ... [​IMG]

But shoulnt Nature Kick in and she start brooding... I know the eggs are fertile because I took the 1st 5 eggs about 3 weeks ago and put them under a broody hen and the chicks have started to hatch....

The Chickens nest, NEST "A"already has 18 eggs. Then Araucanas stopped using Nest "A" and started using NEST "B" that has 4 eggs. I took the Araucana eggs away from Nest "A" & "B" and placed in Nest "B" 10 fresh Cochin Eggs... The Araucana is still using Nest "B". The Araucana Eggs have been placed under a different chicken "CHICKEN B" and Nest "C" who just started to brood... I took Chicken "B"'s original eggs and put them in the fridge for breakfast.

Why oh Why do these chickens do this to me.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Quote:I know that ... [​IMG]

But shoulnt Nature Kick in and she start brooding... I know the eggs are fertile because I took the 1st 5 eggs about 3 weeks ago and put them under a broody hen and the chicks have started to hatch....

The Chickens nest, NEST "A"already has 18 eggs. Then Araucanas stopped using Nest "A" and started using NEST "B" that has 4 eggs. I took the Araucana eggs away from Nest "A" & "B" and placed in Nest "B" 10 fresh Cochin Eggs... The Araucana is still using Nest "B". The Araucana Eggs have been placed under a different chicken "CHICKEN B" and Nest "C" who just started to brood... I took Chicken "B"'s original eggs and put them in the fridge for breakfast.

Why oh Why do these chickens do this to me.. [​IMG]

Because they can...[​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's why people have a separate broody cage or coop. If they will stay broody when you move them into it, of course. Foe one of mine it broke her of being broody. So now I go out there several times a day to be sure she's still on the right nest. She seems to be stealing the others' eggs and moving them to her nest, so I swipe "my" eggs from her. After preventing an attack, of course.

They win in the end, anyway....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by