Why wont my bb reds hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mvarty, Apr 25, 2009.

1. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    I have put some in the incubator, and shes sitting on some...on a few different ocassions, we end up throwing out rotten ones. We thought the rooster wasn't doin his job, but we found a chick in one. I just learned about how to candle, and will start doing that, but what are some reasons they are not hatching. In the incubator, and under her? I would think between the two something would have happened somewhere? (we have some over 30 days!)

2. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    What incubator do you have?
    What are you keeping the temp and humidty at?
    Are they being turned enough?

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Quote:Yeah, what she said.....[​IMG]

4. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Hmmm. Actually my mom is running the incubator end of this for me, I don't know the details on the incubator, and she has chicks hatching, but not mine, so I don't know if the bb reds are different, (She does not have bb reds) but even the ones here under my hen here wont hatch. Could she be too cold? She is inside, but the room isn't heated that well and it's still cold here at times. What other factors could it be?

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Have you broken open the ones that didn't hatch to see if anything has developed? You need to know at what stage they're dying (or if they're developing at all) to figure out what the problem is. If they've been in there more than 25 days you need to boot them before they explode.

6. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:Ditto that, honestly theres not much worse than having an egg explode on you or in the bator (from personal expierance!).

I'd find out from your mom what she is doing so maybe we can help you figure out what is going wrong and why they aren't hatching.

oh and [​IMG]

7. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    My mom said they have been turned regularly, humidity good, heat good, and her eggs have been hatching in there so I was wondering if bb reds are somehow different, like they need more heat or less? But she did throw out one, after some exploded, and found a chick not fully developed in one shell, we werent sure if it died because she disturbrd it, or because it was already dead. Now I dont know which ones to take out from under her, I marked an x on some on March 24, that shes sitting on. ANd nothing.

8. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You need to crack open the ones from March 24th and see what's in them. If they haven't hatched yet they're not going to. At least if you know what's in them someone can come closer to giving you some answers. Do you just have one roo and one hen? It's possible they carry a recessive genetic defect that isn't compatible with life when combined. Not extremely likely, but possible.

9. mvarty

mvarty New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Thank you. I will do that. I have 1 roo and 3 hens, but 1 hen sitting, and I believe all three are laying them in her box. Should I have a seperate box for the other 2?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by