Why won't my chickens come out of their coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iansmommy, May 15, 2008.

1. Iansmommy

Iansmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    We just built a coop for our chickens. They have been in it for about 2 weeks. Yesterday we finished the run and I figured as soon as I opened the door they would run out. They were always trying to get out of the "human" door when I would go in. I've had their door open for about 3 hours now and they have only ventured to the bottom edge of the ramp and then they go back in. I just looked out and they were all back in side again. I've thrown some food in the grass hoping it would entice them out and they came out and pecked and went back in. I even found a worm and put it on their ramp and one came out and grabbed it and went back inside.

Will they eventually come out on their own or do I need to force them out?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Maybe if you turned off the coop tv and took away their video game privileges, they'd want to play outside. Seriously, they'll come out when their natural curiosity gets the best of them. Let them come out on their own terms.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They will venture out, takes time.....

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously, would you want to be "outed" before you were ready? [​IMG]

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Mine are not eager to come out yet also-I think they sense hawks! I have seen some about lately.

6. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    You may have to force them out a couple of times, if not all of them than maybe a couple. They'll soon get the hang of it, and love it oudoors.

7. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Quote:LOL! [​IMG]

8. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    Well orps are known to "tolerate confinement well." [​IMG] Ours took a while before they were comfortable going out but but now they're all over the yard. When the weather is nice if we keep them locked up in the run they trill and chirp at us (chikie-tantrums) for not letting them out. When weather is bad, ie any hint of rain, they all run inside. They're a really good indicator of rainfall heheh. Are you having good weather?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by