WHY WONT MY CHICKENS LAYYYYYYYYY. ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by saraiquimby1, Dec 20, 2016.

1. saraiquimby1

saraiquimby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Okay. Someone clue me in on if I'm missing anything or not. Here's the details.

I have 18 hens.
    The first group:
    9 of them are almost 2 years old (Born Feb. 2015).
    4 Buff Orps, 1 BSL, 1 RIR, 2 EE, and 1 Barred Rock.

The second group:
    9 of them are almost 1 year old (Born Feb 2016)
    4 Australorps, 2 ISA browns, 2 SLW, and 1 Light Brahma? (never did find out exactly what she is)

They all did their heavy molt about 2 or 3 months ago. All came through it fine. They have all grown all their feathers back beautifully. All healthy and active.
    They free range all day, and put themselves away at night.
    No new hens have been added. No one taken away. No changes and no stress. Everything is the same as it's been since we added the new kids in February.

They eat an 18% protein pelleted feed (highest available in my area), have free choice oyster shell out all the time, and are given sunflower seeds as a snack in the evenings.

18 healthy hens. And I only am getting 3 eggs a day. Consistently 3 to 4 eggs daily for MONTHS (At least 4 months). I get that they don't lay well when they molt but shouldn't they be laying a bit more now? I mean I know that at least my ISA and Brahma are laying (I've seen them) but otherwise I"m not sure who it is.

I know they are not laying anywhere else. We have locked them up for days at a time to see and we still only get 3 eggs. And I know where they go and on my property you can't hide eggs.

Am i missing something? Shouldn't they be laying a bit more for 18 hens than 3 eggs? Even given the weather and light changes? Or am i crazy to think they should be laying more. Are my 2 year olds done already? Confused..

I still love my babies.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. bostick18

bostick18 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    abbeville la
    I recently had a similar problem. a friend noticed that they had lice. treated for lice. a little while later laying resumed. check for lice. look closely at the vent and you'll see them crawling around.

3. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I have checked them over thoroughly and none have any lice. I check them VERY regularly for stuff like that lol I'm paranoid about parasites for them.

4. bostick18

bostick18 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    abbeville la
    It might be weather related. I know it been going from lows in the 30s to lows in the 70s where I'm at and my birds are less than normal production. Some birds will almost stop laying after 2 yrs old. maybe they are aging out and it's time to refresh.

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

You say they free range, then three paragraphs later you state they are locked up. Which is it? if they are in an enclosed pen then they do not free range, and I cannot help you there. However if by locked up you mean their coop is locked up at night and they are allowed free access to your yard during the day then that may be your answer right there: they are laying, you just haven't discovered their nest(s) yet.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  7. saraiquimby1

Jul 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I wrote that we locked them up for days and still didn't get any more than 3 eggs.
    They don't have nests any where else. I know my property and the hens, and they don't have nests any where else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by