Why won't my chickens use the new coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GarCan, Aug 8, 2014.

1. GarCan

GarCan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    All of my chickens want to use the older small coop instead of a large newer one I just built. How do I get them to roost/use the larger less crowded coop?

2. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Have you tried blocking access to the smaller run? Also put plenty of food in the new run or figure out some way to deter them from the old run, worked for me.

Goodluck!

3. GarCan

Aug 6, 2014
    I haven't blocked the small coop yet. I was hoping they would be so cramped up in one they would use both

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    If they're really stubborn you may have to move them all to the new coop and lock them in for 2-3 days. That way they will acclimate to their new coop...just thinkin'

5. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    They might NOT LIKE THE SMELL.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Block off the old and lock them in the new for 2-3 days / nights...that oughta do it.
    They are creatures of habit, you need to help them create the habit of the new coop being 'home'.

7. GarCan

Aug 6, 2014
    Ok. Thanks y'all. I will try it in a day or two if they are still stubborn.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They're not being 'stubborn', that's a human trait....they are chickens....and following their instincts, you can work with their instincts if you know what they are.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. ILikeBirds

ILikeBirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    SW Washington
    I'm not saying Aronia isn't right, but birds actually have a terrible sense of smell. It's their least powerful sense. I just built a new coop also so this was a lot of help for me also, thanks guys!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  10. Stacifay

Stacifay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    I see this question is old - but I was curious - how long did it take your chickens to acclimate to their new home? We built a new coop that is three times larger and run is 10x larger and my chickens did not use their house last night (we had a pretty nasty thunderstorm!) I was shocked this AM to look in their house and see there was not a single drop of poop to clean - ie - chickens did not use house overnight. They can not get to their old coop now, so hoping they start using the "mansion" my son and I took a month to build!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by