Why won't my chickens use their chicken swing?

LucyBO16

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I made a chicken swing for my chickens because I don't want to spend $30 on one. It has been up for 2 weeks and they haven't touched it. Any ideas why?

I tried that too (making a swing for their run). A couple of them tried sitting on it but once the swing moved, they quickly lost interest and didn't mess with it any more. I'm guessing they would rather roost on something that doesn't move.

I agree with NFC, it moves too much...

I actually PAID the $30 for a swing lol... Oh DH loved THAT, wasting 30 bucks ha-ha :p

The chicks like it if it's really close to the ground, but as soon as they feather out they always lose interest and don't like how it moves on them; they preferred roosting after a certain age and seems like they preferred roosts that didn't swing. I had a little cockerel that absolutely loved it but has since "grown up".

Must be a chick thing ;)

Last edited:
I was thinking that our swing was going unused ever since they got close to laying - yesterday, some movement caught my eye in the run and it was swing going crazy as one of them had just gotten off. Glad to know it still provides some interest to them.

I think the longer the support chains/ropes, the more it moves, the less likely they will use it.
They're ok with some movement, but I believe there's a limit.
Also, when I do see them work, it's usually when they had the swing available as very young chicks.

Hey Lucy. I've not given my flock a swing, but here are some things you can try: Replace that chain or rope with a solid length of thin wood. Or tether it to the ground with a couple tent stakes and twine, so it only moves a couple of inches. I agree the movement is most likely the issue. Lower it so it's 12 - 15" from the ground.

Back
Top Bottom