1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why won't my cockerel crow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by khatar, Jun 29, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have a 11 week old EE cockerel, very gorgeous. But he won't crow! I don't know why but it seems like he doesn't even think about it! I tried imitating crowing, acted like a dog barking and he just won't! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] This is my first roo so I wouldn't have too much experience. Should I be worried?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:He'll crow when he's ready [​IMG] Besides, why would you want him to crow? [​IMG]

3. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    you should be thankful! haha

I have a rooster right now that wont shut up. If he wakes me up again hes going to the pot haha

4. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know, I've spent three years with hens begging my family for a rooster. Then my luck came when we got two supposed baby pullets and now no doubt one is a cockerel. I guess I'm just excited. When should I expect crowing?

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

GGGGEEEEE you live in CA. Like I do, Be thankful or you'll have code enforcement knocking on your door...I ended up with a EE cockerel, I pray he doesn't crow or I will have to TRY harder to re-home him. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah.....the only reason I'm allowed to have chickens is on one condition......NO COMPLAINTS!!!! Three years with no complaints! [​IMG] And my hens are very loud when they cackle, my BO is so loud she's attracted people from across the neighborhood! I'm just grateful to have any permission at all!

7. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    As my Grandfather used to tell me 60 years ago...."One must practice patience". You're guy will crow the minute he is ready...and not a minute sooner. He has to learn that on his own. My experience has been over the years that if you watch them their mouth acts like they are crowing but nothing come out. THEN when it does...you will want nothing more that for it to SHUT UP for crying out loud.. [​IMG] ...I am trying to think, or sleep, or talk on the phone, or watch my favorite thing on the tube. [​IMG]

One needs to watch what one wishes for. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Are your chickens cold in Big bear or do they tolerate it, just curious. [​IMG]

9. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I guess I shouldn't be excited. [​IMG]

10. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:I guess I shouldn't be excited. [​IMG]

Oh No....ALWAYS be excited about your chickens. I have had birds for more years than I care to think about...and I am still excited every day when I go to the coops or cages.

Enjoy your birds and the BEST OF LUCK.

CDA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by