why won't my ducklings follow me :(

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
I have 4 muscovy ducklings that are about 5 days old and i've handled them since 3 days old. They like being pet and cuddled but won't follow me around like i've heard ducklings do when u get them young. They follow eachother but not me, is it because I have more than one? Or are they just not old enoug yet?

I am not a duck expert but when I had only 2 baby pekins they would follow me more than the 4 call ducklings did. I noticed they would rather stay together and run from me. I started giving them meal worms as treats and now they follow me around and let me pet their head a little, but still don't want bothered by holding or alot of petting and I held them everyday.

same here. when I had my 4 call ducklings , they didnt follow hardly at all... I now have just 2 and they follow ALOT !! the number of ducklings apparently makes alot of difference... BUT out of my 4 (adults now) one of my boys lets me hold him ALOT and he also follows me alot.. !!!

Quote:
I've found that they imprint much more strongly on you if they are separate from each other. If there are a bunch of ducklings together, they just bond with each other instead. If you can keep them in separate brooders it will probably help, but they will most likely scream at being alone, at least at first.

they will bond with you well enough... sometimes babies that are VERY bonded grow up and are distant.. its really not fair for the babies to sperate them unless its just for alittle while at a time.. . just sit with them and hold them alot... when mine grew up ( like@ 2 months) everyday I go to see them they instantly come to meet me !! and tell me about their day.... just spend alot of time with them now cuz 2 months go fast and they will be grown .

Thanks for your feedback
big_smile.png
, I was just worried they're not bonding to me because they don't follow me like i've heard ducklings do with their owners.

Mine didn't take long to start jumping out of pond for some worms or cheerios. Now when they see me they go crazy. I have done this everyday for past month and they are 2 months old now. Now when they see me from the duck pen they wait at door for me to let them out to get treats and follow me all around the yard. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom