1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why won't my ducks lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman1990, Nov 14, 2015.

1. duckman1990

duckman1990 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I have had two beautiful pekin hens laying two eggs a day for about 3 months ... Over the last two months I added two mixed breed ducks probably half buff half Swedish and two kaki Campbell's . All are female except a kaki drake . The new ones are old enough, they've settled in why arnt they laying for me!? All good advice very appreciated

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They may still be adjusting to the move. What are they eating?

3. duckman1990

Nov 14, 2015
    Knoxville, TN

4. duckman1990

Nov 14, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I was thinking that too maybe it just takes a long time for them to settle in I'm feeding them dumor layer pellets. And every now and then I throw in oyster shells... They don't seem to like scratch. It's always left over in the morning...

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yeah, it was probably the move at first at least, ducks will typically stop laying for awhile after a stressful event (moving, predator attack, etc). Then there's also the fact that winter is coming and many ducks don't lay over the winter. Mine only lay in the Spring and Summer, then they all stop to go through their yearly moult, then winter is basically here and it gets super dark and they just don't lay anymore until spring. So that might happen with yours as well.

Scratch really isn't appropriate food for ducks anyway, maybe as an occasional treat if they like it. So I'd just stick to the layers pellets and offer the oyster shell on the side.

1 person likes this.
  6. duckman1990

Nov 14, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok so they definitely need oyster shells? Also my ducks are about 7 months old and have not molted yet.. When does that happen hopefully not during winter!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give oyster shells. And sometimes mine molt in winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by