Why wont my hen lay? Can YOU help me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MeghanChickLady, Aug 8, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    I have ten chickens, five are egg laying hens. Everyday my hen lays around noon. When I went out to check, though, no egg was in the nest. My hen only recently began to lay, but since her first egg, she has been very productive. So I figured, "So Smoky(my hen) is just a little late," and went back inside, cleaned the house for about an hour, maybe forty minutes. Around that time. But when I went back out, no egg. I hid so they couldn't see me, but so I could see them. A hen(not Smoky, who is the only current laying hen) went into the box, scratched through the hay, then left after a few minutes. No eggs. Is there a reason? [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A hen will take a break now and then from production - unless your girl starts to show signs of distress just chalk this up to one of her days off.

3. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Ok, thank you. I was a little worried, I didn't know that hens COULD stop and knock off for a day. Thanks for telling me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by