Why won't my hen's lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmartin2001, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mrsmartin2001

mrsmartin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    I have 2 hens who are at the age of laying eggs. I have 2 Dominiker's and a red, and I got one of them from someone, who ashured me it was laying. My other hen is about 7 months old, i also have a rooster. I don't yet have a coop built for them, they like to stay in a wooded area beside my house, and I search for eggs everyday but have yet to find any, so do anyone know why they won't lay?

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    It could be many things.
    Are you feeding them, or are they totally free-range? If so, adding layer feed could help, and some oyster shell.
    They could be laying and you aren't finding the eggs. Some hens are sneaky.
    They could be laying and some other critter is finding the eggs.
    That's all I can think of right now...

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    maybe your just not finding the eggs.. they are tricky when it comes to hiding nests.. do you ever hear em cackle??

4. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    I feed them everyday, and water them also. I do hear them cackle, and I notice where they are laying when they cackle, but i still don't find anything, do you think they will be covering the nest with leaves?

5. Do I look like a chicken

Do I look like a chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Western Oregon, U.S.A.
    Some chickens will develop a taste for eggs and it is possible they are being gobbled up by the chickens themselves before you can get to them, the roo especially. Can you remove the roo from the hens for a few nights to see if this might be the case? If nothing else, confine him nearby overnight. I know the roo is good protection for the hens from predators, but he may be the culprit here. They will eat shell and all. Are you able to build a small nesting box for them? A shoe box with some soft bedding will even do the trick for the short run. Put the temporary nest in the place they like to hang out at night and put a golf ball or some other small round sphere in the nest to give them the idea that this is the place to leave those kinds of things.

Otherwise they might just be hiding them really well and if that is the case, with a roo around you might be very surprised one day to find a chick or two running around with your hens.
    [​IMG]

Mike

6. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for your replies, I will try the box with the golf ball in it.

7. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    Well this mourning I got up and found me an old dresser drawer, I put some leaves and stuff in it and a golf ball, sit it in the wooded area the chickens like to stay in and I went to check it a little while ago, nothing in it yet, I guess i'll see what happens tommorow. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.[​IMG]

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If the chickens were eating the eggs you would find traces left behind.

They might eat all the shell but they can't eat all the white because it oozes into the nesting material.

It would be pretty easy to prove or disprove the chickens eating their own eggs idea.

9. mrsmartin2001

Aug 16, 2007
    Virginia
    So far i have'nt found any trace's of egg.

10. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I have a nice coop with nesting boxes.....I feed them feed and scratch and they get treats like oatmeal, yogurt and fruit......they are five, almost six months old....They are nice and calm and they like me..........so they are not scared or anything.
    I have just put a golf ball in three of the boxes.........I have one pullet that looks like she wants to lay an egg but nothing........I would just love to see an egg in a nesting box......
    Am I too anxious.??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by