why won't my hens lay???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nicoletm24, Jul 12, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    We were given 7 hens and a rooster about 6 months ago, fully grown, and well old enough that they should be laying! out of the 7 hens, we MIGHT get 2 eggs a day (on a lucky day) [​IMG]
    We've tried diff food, and it doesn't change a thing. is there a true tale way of figuring out which ones are laying and which are not? and why wouldn't only 2 hens lay and not all of them???[​IMG]

THANKS [​IMG]

Nicole

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Weeeeelllll....

You can cage each hen for 2+ days and see if she produces an egg while in the cage.

Or you can try the food coloring/lipstick in the vent trick...but that is not for the faint of heart.

3. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i'm scared to ask what the lipstick in the vent trick is...[​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well, it involves not ever using the lipstick yourself....

Have you checked every nook and cranny for hidden nests? Look up high, too. And you might have a snake stealing eggs, took me a while to figure out that one!

5. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    I had this problem once and later found a dozen eggs in a flower bed. Of course I let mine out all day. This has happened several times when I add to the flock or something. It takes a few times of moving them to get them in the habit. I also put golf balls in my nesting boxes. This helpped a lot. It also keeps them from all trying to lay in one box.

If you don't ever let them out I would separate them one at a time and figure out if they are laying as suggested above. I have 11 hens and only get 7-8 eggs per day. I am ready to separte a few and weed out the ones that are not laying.

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:bahahahahahahaha [​IMG] [​IMG]

not knocking it, just think its funny!!

Edited to say I quoted thw wrong post :-( I wanted to quote the one suggesting lipstick on the vent arggg its one of those days for me!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    they don't come out at all. and theres no where but the ground or their nests to lay...possibly snake...maybe, since my fiance found a HUGE snake skin close to the coop the other day while mowing. [​IMG] but, they've been constant 2 eggs a day. never more never less. I might start putting one in a cage per day and see what happens.

how can you tell if you have any hens that are egg eaters except if you catch em in the act?

nicole

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by