1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why wont my hovabators temp go down! 113 degrees right now....!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 18, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I just got my hovabator, im learning how to use it. Its at 113 degrees in the garage. I have a waffer but i twist it ti (decrease) and it doesnt de crease??? any suggestions.

2. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    If the wafer is bad it will not shut the micro switch off. That would be my guess. Does the Light ever go off? If not I would change the wafer.

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    do u think i might have put it on wrong?

4. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Possibly. Remember that each full turn is only about 1 degree, so you'll have to turn it a few times before you notice a decrease in the temperature.

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    oh ok. I twisted it 5 times, it heres anyway I could break it?

6. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I didn't realize you had just set the bator up, I turned the rod until the light shut off then increased it until I reached the 100 degrees I was looking for. This is why they suggest you wait 24 hours after you set up the bator thus allowing it to stablize.

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I set it up last night at around 3:00 pm

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Thanks you guys, I have it set up right this time [​IMG]. ill tell you when I get it in the 99.5-103 area.

9. allcrackedup

allcrackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    capitola
    ditto you have to turn and turn i hate them .... home made water heater is better...

10. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    you know what, i tried the water heater thing for an entire week... i just went out today and got me a used ronco for 50 bucks... i have it setup at 98° and it's staying at 100.5° to 95.0° no matter what the ambient temperature is... when my living room would get cold, it would go down too... i'm eating my words, i talked bad about this thing...

or, i read a bunch of good stuff towards this digital controller from ebay... a lot of bearded dragon breeders get them and they're cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electronic-Kit-...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a0b4d2a43#ht_500wt_1156

they have the ebay seller give them resisters to make it go up to 112° or so... it has a 0.5° fluctuation... or so i heard...

good luck... let us know what happens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by