Why won't my indian runners lay! What am I doing wrong! Please help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sophster1989, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sophster1989

sophster1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    Hi there i bought 3 x indian runners on away 21st at 3 weeks old which will now make them approx 27/28 weeks! I am very new to ducks but from their quacks and tail feather curl i have 2 girls and 1 boy! They live in my shed with my 3 chickens I've tried sererating them but they all want to be together! I feed them a mix of corn and layer pellets and they free range but I'm not getting any eggs? Please could someone help me out as to why? I let them out about 8 in the morning and they go down the field but I can't see any eggs? Am I not feeding them enough? Or is it coz their with my chickens.They have a cardboard box to lay in but they seem to just sleep in that. Is it cos of the daylight hours? I researched that and got the impression it didn't matter so much for runners! Please help :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi!

I have had quite a long couple of days. Welcome to the Duck Forum!

Here are a few ideas, from reading your post.

They do seem old enough to lay. Is the drake constantly mating with one or both of them? Overmating can interfere with laying.

Many ducks do not use boxes to lay in. They will make their own nests, or just put the egg wherever they feel like.

They also can hide eggs. What season is it where you are? Spring or fall?

Runners may lay eggs after 8 a.m. If you are letting them out into a field, they could be laying them in the field, and a critter comes by at night and eats the egg.

How much corn, how much pellets? I would not feed much corn - I would stick with something with more nutrition unless they need the calories for heat in winter, and then I would keep the amount of corn fairly low.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. sophster1989

Sep 14, 2014
    Hiya it's autumn here! I don't tend to give them that much to eat I just give then about z kg for all 3 in a morning but they don't eat it all! I don't see the make pestering them at all? Ill close the gate to the field and see if I get anything in the garden? Do u thibk I should put a light in my shed like u can for chickens? Thanks

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think a light is necessary, though some do that. I think what is more important is proper nutrition (and that is not one set standard - ducks are individuals and may need more of one thing or another), proper temperature, safety, and plenty of fresh water.

z kg?

5. Lazys

Lazys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Make sure you are not missing them. Thankfully I figured out that mine were more or less burying their eggs. Now I know when I see an egg to dig further. They will move to a new place every day after I have uncovered their hiding place.
    I ended up with one girl and 7 boys in my runners, so I went and bought seven new girls and traded two of the boys off. they range in age from 4 years to 5 mos. Out of those 8 girls I have now, I get 6+ eggs every day... And some do just drop an egg where the notion hits them. I feed mine 2/3 layer pellets and 1/3 cracked corn just like the chickens they share the house with. They also get turned out every day, but I wait til 10:30 or so.

6. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    I recently found three eggs underneath their feed bowl. [​IMG]

My Welsh Harlequins each lay one per day, usually in the AM. However, when I empty their pool I do find a couple eggs in it. Generally 2-3 eggs every two weeks. The nest is in a different spot each day and sometimes the eggs are in multiple places. I would try to keep them in longer and see if you are just missing the eggs in the field.

7. sophster1989

Sep 14, 2014
    Oh really! Thanks guys! Ill try that then and just let them loose in the garden and see If any appear :) thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by