Why won't my leghorn eat layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 8, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    She will be 21 weeks this Saturday. She has not been eating the Purina Layena pellet feed I purchased for her. She keeps going back to the Purina Start&Grow to eat. I tried smashing it up and mixing it in yogurt which was her favorite way to eat feed as a chick. She is eating treats and bugs. What is up? She's been laying since thanksgiving. But after a week of good eggs she started laying soft shelled then good then none then soft.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    When they go from the crumbles to the pellets, they often resist.....Don't give her treats or the option to go back to the starter crumbles....give ther the new layer pellets ONLY, and she will eat when she's hungry.

Don't worry, she won't starve,
    Sharon

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Did you change over all at once? When I went to change over I had about 2 lbs in the feeder. I put another 2 lbs of pellets on top so the pellets would slowly make their way into the area where they peck. Once they started at that point they all continued on eating and haven't stopped yet.[​IMG]

4. pennstatezim

pennstatezim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    what i do with my layer is if i have any leftover veggies i will cook them off and then mix them with my layer feed and let it cool and if its cold out side I will give it to them when its alittle warm and they do really well laying in the winter when I do this.

5. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Stop feeding the grower and only give her the layer feed, she'll get used to it. [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately I also have the rest of the flock to feed and they all eat the medicated Grow & Start crumbles. The youngest ones won't be old enough for layer feed for another 10 weeks. I thought about switching to a flock raiser, but that's just got more protein then grow&start - otherwise it's the same age requirements. Both say to switch to layer when they're 18 weeks or laying.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I almost broke down and purchased new feed today. I have that full bag of Layena pellets for Snow White's benefit. I thought I would have to get either flock raiser or layer crumbles. Came close to doing that and talked myself out of it. Glad I didn't waste the money. She was chowing down on it tonight! Just took her awhile to get hungry enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by