Why won't my rooster mate my hen??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by awesomefowl, Dec 4, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

He's driving me crazy!!!!! Its my little Serama rooster, he is the sweetest roo ever, takes such great care of his girl, but WON'T mate with her. They are together all the time, she was laying but none of her eggs developed, and i have never ever seen him mount her. Why won't he???? I got them to be breeders, am really counting on getting some Serama babies this spring. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Reading your post he sounds like the perfect description of .............................. well one of those boy's who just doesn't like the girls that way LOL. I wonder if he's a good listener too LOL................ I kill myself sometimes.

WTS he should come around give him some time, put him in another pen alone, and slip another Roo in the girls pen for a few day's where he can watch. He should get really jealous after a time and that should kick start it.

AL

3. awesomefowl

Oh my, I spent $60 for him and her.....[​IMG] [​IMG] I don't have another roo!Now I'll have to buy another rooster!
    Guess I should contact the breeder. Rochester, you annoying rooster!!!!!!!!!!! (actually, he's the sweetest roo ever)

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You should be able to pick up a rooster for free or next to free on Craigslist or out of the local want ads. Problem is, what will you do with him after he teaches yours what to do?

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Some reasons could be he is too young, just because he isn't doing it in front of you doesn't mean he isn't, she may not be letting him, it is getting that time of year where they don't typically mate. That is in the spring- so that can be the reason too. Could be things like being sterile and such, but usually isn't the case.

I don't believe you need other birds to teach them, that is in the genetics I say. Instinct. If they don't have that, then they shouldn't be bred anyway in my opinion. I'm doubtful birds will look at other birds and some how get the idea what they're doing. Even humans don't do that until explained.

If you really want him to so badly, you could try AI.. Then you know for sure if he just isn't doing it or is just sterile. But even then, if it's not age or the such and he just doesn't have that drive. Do you want him to be bred?
    -Daniel

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  6. awesomefowl

Yeah, and this is a very expensive, fancy, nicely bred Serama rooster. But that is an option...do you this another roo would teach Rochesty how to do his stuff?

7. awesomefowl

Quote:He is not young, and he was supposed to be a breeder. he has these long spurs,denoting age. Plus, Seramas are supposed to be fertile-est in fall and early spring.

8. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Maybe she is ugly.[​IMG]

9. awesomefowl

She IS ugly but in every other way Rochester is devoted to her! She is very sweet!

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    maybe shes not his type. [​IMG] No really I have no idea why unless like others said you just are not catching him. Have you cracked an egg to see if its fertile?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by