Why won't NC TSC sell baby chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hobbley_Farm, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I would LOVE to go in there to get feed and items and see a huge vat of lil fuzzy butts waddling around. But they say they don't. And Northern Tool doesn't either. The only way I can get chicks is the old fashion way, or if I know someone or just ORDER THEM! What gives?

2. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Our local TSC quit selling chicks too, but this past year they started again.

Try your local feed mill.

3. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    The closest feed mill is in Stokes County and I don't know WHERE they would have a place to sell chicks. You'd have to see this place, it must have been built 250 years ago and not updated since! Good prices, but they don't sell anything but scratch, corn bread mix, and corn flour. lol

I just get SOOO jealous when I read someone post something like "well, went to get some feed, came home with this fuzzy butt [​IMG] " And I think, "I want to do that!" They do sell hamsters and rabbits around Easter...but nothing poultry.

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    The one in Rocky Mount NC does but only during the spring. Not sure why they all wouldn't.

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Just called the TSC in Mount Airy & in April they WILL have chicks. They'll have 3-4 different breeds, but the one they knew for sure was RIR's. The chicks will be straight run. They said that in the next month or 2 they'll have more info as to what breeds they'll have. They said that they'd have plenty considering they normally order several thousand! Hope that helps you! I don't think Mt. Airy is to too far from where you're located. [​IMG]

6. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:Yeah, that's weird and not fair (to me lol )

7. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:WOW! Thanks Talani. That's the one I go to 99.9% of the time. But they told me last year that they don't do that anymore because of the avian virus (or something) which made sense until I saw SOOO many people on here talking about getting them at their feed stores and/or tractor supply, in different states. Considering that we have such a huge poultry area in and around Dobson, NC it just didn't make sense to me.

8. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    hobbley, how many chichs do you want, i have 29 that have started to hatch this morning. i live in graham, nc. that is about one hour from you

9. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    You're VERY welcome! I just felt bad for you and couldn't understand why they wouldn't carry chicks either. So, I thought the least I could do was give them a call and find out what the deal was for ya! [​IMG] Just hope they'll have some breeds that you'll like. Keep your [​IMG].

10. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    our local tsc is sell theirs soon i thought they all did

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by