1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why won't she leave her alone???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have 3 pullets who are laying:( they've been laying for 1 1/2 weeks) One red star and 2 white rocks. The red star seems to be an "early" layer, laying very early in the morning, so I haven't ever caught her in a next box. But the two rocks, I've seen plenty of times. When Millie goes in to lay her egg, Mrs. Olson follows, and won't leave her alone! My husband and I have found BOTH of them in a nest box and Mrs. Olson seems to be sitting on top of Millie. Then she gets down and honks and hollers, and gets back up! If any other girls even come into the coop, Mrs. Olson chases them out and even pecks at them! 1. Why is she doing this? and 2. I'm worried she will do this when the others start laying.???? [​IMG] PLEASE HELP

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Anyone????

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It could be a couple of things and probably nothing you need to worry about. I've had hens 3 deep in a favorite nest box before, nobody was hurting anybody else, but sometimes it's ruff on the eggs. They could be buddies and Mrs. Olson is being protective or she could be being a bossy dominate hen. You don't say how many hens you have total or how many nesting boxes. It may help to add another box or two, but sometimes there is just a favorite that they all want to use.

Hmm, just re-read this and it wasn't very helpfull. Bottom line is it doesn't sound that odd and I'll bet it is nothing to worry about.

4. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry if I'm not explaining something right.[​IMG] I have 7 pullets. 4 nest boxes.

5. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I have two hens that seem to want to use the same nesting box at the same time. I usually end up with a dirty egg because they end up stepping on the first egg. I have another hen who will chase everyone out of the coop before she lays, and she will get up and chase them away if they try to come into the coop in the middle of her doing her thing. I don't think there is anything wrong with your hens behavior. They will all eventually establish their own system of doing things and her behavior should either soften alittle or the others will learn to leave her alone when she's in their.

My hen who would chase them out, has since become a little more accommodating and will let the other girls in to lay. Don't worry too much about it.[​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That's more than enough space for everybody. I wouldn't worry too much about it, when the others are ready to lay they'll figure out where to go. Mrs. Olson might even decide to "supervise" them too.

7. mags2009

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thanks kittymomma!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by