1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

why wont they go in their "house"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Dec 7, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Songster

Oct 2, 2009
    the run has a built in house part at one end that is stuffed full of straw, i even put their fave teddy in but they refuse to go in! the run part of the run has sand on floor which wont be as cosy as straw so why dont they go in the house part? do i need to push them in to show them because i know thats what people do with chickens i thought ducks would just know though... what should i do?

2. 688peterl

688peterl Songster

Oct 2, 2009
    oh heres the pic

[​IMG]

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Songster

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Ducks are extreme neophobes. I would put them in the house and close it up so they cant escape for a little while. That way they realize the monsters in there won't eat them.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Exactly. Ducks don't like change even if it is good for them.

5. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Songster

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    You said it is "stuffed full of straw". It looks like it is stuffed. Is there room for them to go in? Maybe I am just not seeing how it is actually set up?

6. YakLady

YakLady Songster

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    I'm new to ducks, but we also have a duck house with straw inside of our chicken run. The run is kept open all day so that the ducks and chickens have free access to the yard. Then in the evening, we herd them in and lock them up. I've also been disturbed that they will not go into the duck house, as it has straw and provides shelter. My female, Daisy, lays an egg in there everyday, so I know that she knows how to get in it. Maybe they just don't need it?

7. eggybritches

eggybritches Songster

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I don't know if they "need" it or not. My ducks have a 12x12 coop that goes open during the day. It's covered in straw. They free range my 1/2 acre back yard when their coop is open, but often times I'll look out the window to check on them and they're all cozied up in their house. I had the opposite problem of getting them to not be terrified of the backyard, but at least this way if they get spook they have a safe place to run to.

8. 688peterl

688peterl Songster

Oct 2, 2009
    im gonna put them in the house side and block the exit for like 5 mins 2moz, dont wanna do it now its dark out and if i leave them in for too long donald will probably start attacking louis again [​IMG]

9. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    You can tempt them to go inside on their own by putting some of their favorite food in there. We usually teach victor and Ming mei a new area is safe for them by scattering peas or corn. Their appetite always wins out over their fear or new things!

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My ducks get the hang of a routine really easy....I just put them in at night and let them out in the morning. It took three days for them to get the idea and now most of them are inside when it is time to close up for the night. The couple still outside I just herd them right in. Just put them in at night and let them out in the morning....they will get the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by