Why Won't They Leave The Coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joedie, Aug 2, 2010.

1. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have a flock of 13 week old BCMs who are kept in a coop that is an extension of the barn and looks like a garage with an open front. The coop wall is set back about 6 ft into the barn. I have another flock of mixed hens and 1 roo who free range. 3 days ago I opened to door to the youngsters coop and they won't go past the invisible line they have drawn right at the barn entrance. The other chickens range all over the place so I don't think they are intimidated by them or the roo. He basically ignores them. There are 7 cockerals in this group of 21. I thought after a day or two they would begin to venture outside. We even put tomatoes and watermelons out to lure them but no dice. They'll only eat whats on their Invisible line. What's up with these chicken chicks? [​IMG]

2. ChristyDawn

ChristyDawn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Moravian Falls, NC
    I have had new Polish hens do that before. They had been kept in a run so it took them a few weeks to realize they could go out to the yard. I would occasionally go and shoo them away from the coop, but they would just run right back. It might just take time. Good luck with the babies - I hope they figure it out soon!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It has taken my small flock of four weeks to understand that when the door is open they are free to go out if they want. I have a small run that I can not really get into so I gave up trying to catch them and make them go out. I would just open the door on the back of the coop and let them figure it out. In the beginning some days they would see the door open and go out. Other days they would just stay in the run. Now they go out as soon as I open the door. I guess it just took them a little while to get over being "chicken" [​IMG]

4. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    once there's a reason to venture outside they will go.

Mine dash out in the morning, make a sweep through the tall grass in the yard then sometimes they come back inside to lounge in the deep sand/wood shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by