Why wont they let me hold them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fussy8, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    I got chicks on wednesday and they are still afraid of me!i have held them every day (had to chase them down...) and i have talked to the and everything!!! WHY ARE THEY ATILL AFRAID OF ME?!?!?
    ?!?!?! !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

2. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Just keep picking them up and holding them cupped in your hands. They'll learn to love it soon!!

What breeds do you have? Maybe you have a breed that is more standoffish?

3. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I don't think most chickens really enjoy being held, but mine did like attention. I would sit next to the brooder and just put my hand in and let them get used to it. I'd also pick up some feed or bring treats for them to eat, then just leave my hand in for them to explore and play around. They really enjoyed that, but always hated being picked up.

4. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    i hatched my chicks. 2 of which cheep loudly when held.
    the others just sit. lol.
    one lets me put him on his back (he has a naval infection)

anyway, perhaps just sit next to the brooder and talk to them a few minutes. put your hand in the brooder and let them come onto it themself

5. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    I have one of each rusiann orloff ( cant spell btw) buff orpington, sussex, brahma! I do put my hand in there but i havnt given treats! Thanks guys anything else?!?!?!?!

6. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    Have you tried putting them on the floor and letting them run around you while you sit with them? If you're not giving treats yet, you could put a bit of feed on the floor or in your hand, they'll most likely come right to it.

7. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Hand feed them some feed so they associate your hands with happy things. Also just keep taking them out and having some time with them, let them climb on you. It takes time. Be patient. My chicks are 4 weeks old and I cant go in their pen without 2 or 3 jumping on me and climbing up to my shoulders while I feed and water everyone.

8. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Sounds like some great ideas!!! THANK YOU!!

9. Nathanya

Nathanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Woodstock valley,CT
    I also am stuck in the same situation my Rhode island reds are three weeks old now and I try to pick them up very often but every time Icome near their brooder they run and scurry away from me chirping.

10. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    My chicks are about 8 weeks old and are just now starting to like being picked up. I think it might be because they have been molting and it was painful to be held and petted. But just this week one of my Buff Orpingtons started to come over to me to be picked up! It's great. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by