Why won't they roost??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenni22776rn, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    So I have 3 silkies that are approx 3 months old now...they have a nice coop with a roost..I know that sillkies tend not to roost..but they won't even go into the coop at night. My other chickens put themselves to bed every night..but the silkies will be outside huddled in the corner of the run even if it is raining..we scoop them up and put them to bed. During the day they go into the coop to dust bath or hang out and eat..but at night..they do not go to bed. I checked the coop for any possibe reason..it is a new coop so no holes..no snakes or mice or anything that may make them want to go in..like I said they go in during the day all the time...it is sad because we went to a movie came home after dark to the rain and the silkies were right there huddled outside in the dark and rain..they were covered so they were not soaked but a little wet...any advice on how to get these littel bugga's to put themselves to bed at night?

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Are they outcasts in general? Do they get along with the rest of the flock?

Some chickens catch on faster than others, just keep up the the "putting to bed" routine.

3. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    They have their own coop and run..I have them seperated due to my large rooster getting after my Partridge silkie roo..so they have their won little coop and run..they love the coop during the day but they just will not put themselves to bed....

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They will catch on as they get older in most cases and the huddle thing is instinct to sleep under mom. Somewhere after 4 months or so they will start using the roost and some set them on the roost to help. Never have worried over it and soon they will all be up there I think....

5. chicken_chik

chicken_chik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I don't have experience with Silkies, but do know what you are talking about with the bedtime routine.
    Yesterday was the first night that 5 of my chickens decided to try to bunk it outside!
    I noticed the difference was that I had left the fan on in the coop that day, where usually I turn it off in the morning when I turn them out, and then turn it back on once everyone is roosted up for the night.
    I also agree with the pecking order thing. There seems to be an order of who gets to go in first and such.
    It's encouraging to hear that yours should figure it out with repetition and time.

Just some thoughts...

- Is your roost too close to the wall for comfort?
    - Is there enough room on the roost for everyone to fit side by side?
    - How high up is the roost...maybe need it lower for them to start with, while they are learning?
    - Anything blocking or scaring them at their door? (one time I changed out the shavings and they didn't like it, also my "dinner bell" fell down in front of the door another time and no one would go in with it laying there)

Good luck!

6. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I am not so worried about the roosting part after researching it a little more..I guess silkies tend not to roost..but the not going into the coop is what I am most concerned with. I will keed doing the bed time routine every night and I hope they go in by themselves soon...before winter hits..if they don't learn to go in....they will never be let out! lol! Thanks for all the tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by