why wont they roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencity, May 20, 2008.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    My chicks are 2 months old. for some reason i only have 2 chicks that will roost. i go out there every night and put them on the roost and then they just get off. why wont the roost? they rather sleep on the floor.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I don't have a good answer for you, but what breed are they. I have heard some like lower roosts. Also, do your birds get along? My RIR will bully some of the others away.

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    How high are your roosts and I had to go out three or four times a night at first and put some of my babies back on the roost after they got off. 15 of my chickens now have the idea and only two still can't figure it out.

4. CarolynE

CarolynE Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Same here, chickencity. I'm danged if I'm going to spend any more time out there at night putting them on roosts (I have high and low). About 10 have the idea, and the rest don't - I'm hoping for osmosis to kick in![​IMG]

5. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    they are RIR, BR, GSL. i have 3 roost at different hights. they all seem to get along.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been told that some hens prefer to snuggle on one roost and that the height matters. I'm planning to give my girls a 'junior roost' part way up a ramp until they can handle the mature height. I hope others will jump in on this, I have little experience and I'm interested in their suggestions, too.[​IMG]

7. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Are you putting the girls up on the roost in the dark? If not, try that. They dont see well in the dark, so they should settle down and sleep.

Good luck!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I've been putting my babies up on the roost every night for the last week.... 3 of them now GET IT the other one is still a little confused....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by