Why would a hard shell not form

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catschicks, Aug 29, 2013.

1. catschicks

catschicks New Egg

Sep 28, 2012
    Most of my hens have been laying for about 3 weeks. Pretty sure all 7 are now laying. This morning I found one egg not in nest but across from them and it was a soft coating. Some of the egg was a little hard like a shell, but most was not. What caused this? Could it have been one of them's first egg, or lack of something it needs!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It probably was a first egg. At 3 weeks into laying, they haven't gotten all the kinks worked out either. Don't worry about it. If you still have this problem in a month, than you've got either a diet or reproductive issue.

3. catschicks

catschicks New Egg

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks, I will keep an eye out for this problem again. Thinking this is a one time problem. I have always had great eggs from them!

4. GGinTN

GGinTN New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Many hens lay soft eggs the first few times. My one was shy and didn't want to lay in the coop so she tried to rush it at the 20th hour when the shell is formed. After I settled her down and had the other two walking away she finally laid a perfect egg #3. No problems since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by